ShareThis

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Case Study

Following is a Report prepared by me for one of my clients recently and I thought of publishing it here on my blog as a case-study because as I dig into the matter deeper and deeper it turned out to be pretty universal than personal. Also I have taken utmost care to remove all the personal info and references including my proposed solutions to the problem…! If you can empathize with any of it or find any insights (?) make sure to use the ‘Comment’ box below the post. Thank you.

 

To summarize the year that I spent with you, I would like to borrow words of Albert Einstein – Not everything that can be counted, counts and not everything that counts, can be counted...! The biggest impact I think I made was ‘making people think!’ After all, Socrates said... ‘I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think...!’ And I wholeheartedly believe that ‘Thinking’ is the first mandatory phase of any transformation. Now, how this intangible yet ‘invaluable’ thing can be evaluated in material terms is a question I would like to leave to the evaluators!

It is observed that the initiative lacks CLARITY! Clarity precedes mastery because clarity is power. You will never be able to hit a target that you don’t see! The organization needs to focus on organizing its daily activities to emerge as a dynamic, professional and more productive organization. Warren Buffet was right when he said "It takes 20 years to build reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." 

Although I would like to reiterate the significance and imperativeness of person-independent (it doesn’t mean fully automated like ATM machines, it means not-person-specific) systems and processes to run a successful business venture and look forward to develop it in both vertical and horizontal directions, I don’t believe in Artificial Intelligence but rather have complete faith in communication. Lack of communication carries the seeds of lack of coordination which in turn has all the potential of occasional explosions which is a proper indicator of disorder sprouted from the gaps in the communication and lack of documentation and sharing, seldom it is the outcome of inefficient personnel as it is perceived. A standard, professional and state-of-the-art communication channel is required more than anything; systems, processes and personnel will follow the suit.

This will require a strong and genuine will to actually bring the desired change in one and all and absolute commitment to the objective irrespective of the mundane excuses that would be always there unless are forced to cease. Otherwise this would be like attempting the wheel-alignment of a car running at full speed. A car with misaligned wheels might seem to cover a great distance in a short time but at the cost of a threat that it might fall apart on even the smallest pothole.


Well, if you would like to read some more Gyan(?) like this, keep me stimulated and I will post more.

Stay tuned and Care to Share…!

No comments:

Post a Comment